How to get Income tax refund


Did you know that you can get a refund if you’ve overpaid your income tax?


Tax refund circumstances

Tax refund occurs when:

  • Taxpayer has made payment exceeding the actual tax.
  • Taxpayer has credit in account due to a reduced assessment (after payment has been made).
  • Tax deducted (from scheduled tax deduction or monthly installment payments) is in excess of tax liability for the relevant year.


How To Apply For Tax Refund

Credit in the taxpayer’s account will be refunded automatically to the taxpayer. However, if you wish to forward an application, you can do so by sending a letter to the collections unit of the branch where your physical file is located or an e-mail to the Customer Service Centre, Pandan Indah at  or by calling 1-300-88-3010.

The refund will be processed within 30 working days if you return your tax form using e-Filing or 90 working days if you return it by post or by hand. Late submission penalty (if any) will be deducted accordingly.


Application To Use Tax Credit To Pay Your Current Year’s Tax

If your account shows a credit from a previous year of assessment, you can make an application to use the credit to pay your current year's tax. An application to set-off can be made by forwarding a letter to the collection unit of the branch where your physical file is located before 30th April.


Source: Inland Revenue Board (IRB) / Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri (LHDN) Malaysia.

Post a Comment